What are our objectives?
To foster the use of renewable and alternative energy, power generation by sources other than Eskom, access to cost effective and safe energy and efficient use of the power we generate.
Use of Concentrated Solar Power, PV, wind, hydro and waste, individually or in combination, in place of nuclear or additional coal fired power stations, to add electricity to the grid.
Introduction of a Renewable Energy Feed In Tariff ( REFIT) and cogeneration tariff (COFIT).
Substitute healthy cook stoves and photo voltaic lighting, for candles and paraffin as fuel sources for cooking, heating and lighting.
- Globally the earth is under threat from Climate Change, part natural and part manmade. If we care about the earth’s future we must use energy responsibly.
- 90% of South Africa’s energy comes from coal and oil. Burning of these fossil fuels is unhealthy, unsustainable and polluting.
- Eskom prices are rising and will soon reach parity with most RE technologies.
- RE (Renewable Energy) – solar, wind, water, waste, gas (to a less extent) are healthier for people and for the planet.
- Their use results in decentralized supply, the fostering of energy security, energy diversity, the creation of wealth and sustainable jobs, and a healthier planet.
- Unhealthy cooking practices of indigent populations and use of candles cause fires and health problems and are a major burden to women.
How do we address this?
- We engage with MPs, officials and industry to promote enabling legislation.
- Send questions to parliament.
- Hold roundtables and workshops.
- We provide information to the public.
- Communicate via media, classes, webinars and WUGS.
- Provide and recommend resources.
- Endorse and recommend valid solutions.
- Publicize Energy Efficiency solutions from Eskom and municipalities.
- Provide a conceptual understanding of energy and its relationship with matter and its passage through time.
3. LOCAL SOLUTIONS
- We partner and train communities, so that they learn to use RE, to create jobs in the field of RE and to link RE to IT and mobile technology.
- Build a PV modular mobile internet café to supply energy to off grid areas and for back up during power outages.
- Use drama or real life challenges to help learners make choices that correct problems they identify in their lives.
- On line data in form of articles, laws, answers to MP questions, Blog, webinars.
- Lectures for organized groups.
- Demonstration of products and solutions for community groups, schools and businesses.
5. SUCCESS STORIES
- Poverty Relief Program
- Training in Photo Voltaics
- Nongoma school Installation of PV for TV and video
- Solar Powered Internet Cafe
6. WORKING PARTNERS
- WADE – www.localpower.org
- SESSA – www.sessa.org.za
- WITS Engineers without Borders – www.ewbwits.org
- SAPVIA – www.sapvia.co.za
- SASTELA – www.sastela.org/
- AREA – area-network.ning.com
- World Future Council – www.worldfuturecouncil.org/